Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
1roman
1roman

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:49am

Post Subject: paint

The boards on my seats in the cratch are very scuffed and dull, what wood treatment would be best to restore them?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:05am

Post Subject: paint

First of all we need to be sure the boards are solid wood or plywood because many such boards have a hard "plastic" ply on the top and bottom face. These boars tend to have a geometric pattern on the top face. Next you need to ensure that whatever finish you put on them it should be mildly non-slip if you use these seats as steps when getting on and off the boat. If they really are wood I think any of the wood protectors of the Sikkens (spelling?) type would do well after a good sanding. Otherwise perhaps something like Danish oil. If you have one of the plastic faced boards then I fear your only option is paint. I used floor paint but had to re-paint every couple of years. I now have new boards. If you go down the new board route Hexagrip is one of the trade names, but it is vital to seal the cut edges of the boards. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.50 seconds.