Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
pallister
pallister

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:47pm

Post Subject: Waterway Rules

Is there a booklet containing the rules and regulations for canal and river use that would help a new boating couple?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:13pm

I am not too sure what you have in mind. The Environment Agency publish what you might call their "rules" for boating on their waters and BW do the same. I think you will find the relevant set in the conditions that should come with your license. However even before you can get a license you will need a Boat Safety Certificate and at least third party insurance. Look here:- http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/license-it/lic ence-terms-and-conditions (all on one line) and I am sure the EA navigations and the Broads have their own versions. Each authority will also issue stoppages from time which you will be expected to adhere to. Other than that your insurance company may have some requirements like the provision of anchors etc. In general the river navigations require proper lights if moving after dark but BW do not - again the insurance company may have other ideas. I rather wonder if you are after hints on using locks, mooring , etc. and if you are perhaps a boat handling course might be of benefit. If you ask specific questions you will also get help here, on uk.rec.waterways (news group), www.canalworld.net (forum) and the variety of blogs and websites there are available. You may find the IWA Bookshop has something but I suspect most people just drift into boating or come from a boating family so learn as they go along. Most boaters are helpful and will advise if asked but there are a few horrid ones about - juts ignore them and do not let them put you off. Tony Brooks

ajayrider@
ajayrider@

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:58pm

I would recommend joining a club before you even think about buying your first boat. You will find a complete mix of people and knowledge of useful and less useful stuff. Listen and make your own mind up about what to keep and what to doubt. then buy the magazine and ask the experts.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:30am

I am sorry to disagree but I have worked at a number of clubs over the years and very often the most plausible advice is given from people who have little idea. I also see this in the questions I get sent where such advice seems to have been taken as gospel so nothing can say or do will make much difference. If you get the right club with the right members it will be excellent but if its the wrong club you could be given a lot of very bad information. AS far as the practicalities of handling the boat you could do a lot worse than take a course. At least the RYA will have provided a modicum of supervision over they franchisees. As I said the actual regulations are normally in the license conditions. Tony Brooks

Bushy2006
Bushy2006

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:08am

For general guidance on navigation the Boaters Handbook from: http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boati ng/useful-downloads is supported by BW and EA. There is an accompanying video available from the same page. For waterways etiquette try: http://www.considerateboater.com. Boating isn't difficult and most boaters accept that beginners need help and advice. Spend some time as a gongoozler and ask questions before getting your boat - that's how we got into boating. IMHO you will probably benefit more from a helmsman's course after you have had your boat for a short time.

pallister
pallister

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:42pm

Many thanks to all who replied. We will study the websites suggested

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 45.  Total Objects: 164.  Total Unserialized: 5. Total Runtime: 0.54 seconds.