Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
ajayrider@
ajayrider@

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:37pm

Post Subject: Water in fuel tank

Re, Tony's reply on the subject of water in diesel fuel tanks. This coincided with reading an article in my motorcycle magazine suggesting that 200ml of meths added into a petrol tank would dissolve condensed water after winter storage which would then be passed through the engine on a good run. I suppose it's too much to hope this would work for a diesel fuelled boat engine?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:24am

Post Subject: Water in fuel tank

Meths absorbs water so it will tend to act in a similar way to the emulsifying additives like Fotron and Fuelset etc. However very recent problems RCR has had to deal with tends to indicate that emulsifying additives may not be the optimum solution to water in the bottom of the fuel tank together with the extra water the bio-diesel content of the fuel we buy holds. I have changed my advice from using an emulsifying additive to using the exact opposite - a de-emulsifying additive & biocide like Marine 16 or Grotamar PLUS sucking the water from the bottom of the tank at yearly intervals. I doubt just 200ml of meths in a 40 gallon tank will do much harm to the engine but I question how effective it will be especially if you have taken no steps top mechanically remove any water build up. It is not unknown to remove one or two gallons of water from tanks of narrowboats. Tony-B

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.21 seconds.