Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
daydreams
daydreams

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:47pm

Post Subject: How do you drain the antyi freeze from a keel cooled Isuzu 35HP

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:56am

Please clarify. Do you mean keel cooled as on GRP & Wooden cruisers (and the very occasional metal boat) or skin tank cooling as typically used on narrowboats. Please also clarify the location of the skin-tank (on the side of the hull or horizontally under the engine)and any access issues. Unfortunately it has very little to do with the engine apart from locating the block drain plug/tap and I do not have that information. However your handbook should show you. Please clarify your question and I will do my best to answer it. Thanks Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:15pm

As you have not given me the information that would enable me to give an answer specific to your boat I am going to assume that you have a conventional narrowboat with a vertical skin tank on one side of the rear swim. This will have two hose connections on its inner face each being at least 1" in diameter. Locate this tank, the two connections and then look along the top of the tank for a bleed plug or tap. Also look in the engine manual for the location of the block drain plug. I do not have this information but I suspect it will be on the left hand side of the engine just above the point where the block bells out to joint sump width. 1. Clean out the engine drip tray so any coolant that gets there will not be contaminated by oil. 2. Remove the coolant filler. Remove the lowest hose from the skin tank. If it is difficult to get to the tank end take it off from the engine end and drop the hose into the bilge so all the coolant drains out. Remove the block drain plug or turn on the block drain tap. You may have to poke this out to make sure they are not blocked. If the coolant is very rusty put everything back, fill with water and run until the engine is hot. Then repeat the above. You can use a cooling system cleaner at this stage if you want. Just follow the instructions on the can. 3. Refit the hose and plug. Undo the bleed plug/top on the skin tank. Now, using a jug or glass start refilling the engine. Pint of water then pint of antifreeze counting the number of pints. When liquid runs from the skin tank bleed tighten it and continue filling until full to the line on any expansion bottle or within about 1" of the filler cap. Note the total capacity of the system. This is the only way to find out because skin tank sizes alter. You will now have filled the system to a bit less than a 50% antifreeze mixture because we have ignored what may be in the calorifier coils. However 30% antifreeze is fine but never exceed 50% 4. Pump or sponge the antifreeze mixture from the bilge into containers for safe disposal. Antifreeze is considered hazardous waste. 5. Run the engine until hot topping up and occasionally venting the skin tank to ensure you get no air trapped in the system. That is about it. If by chance your boat is different please answer the questions and I will try to help. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.63 seconds.