Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
mjb123
mjb123

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:24am

Post Subject: Nanni Diesel Rev counter

I am fairly new to narrowboats and have a 1994 boat with a Nanni 3.90 engine. The rev counter seems to rarely indicate any revs (dispite the engine running!) and I am under the impression when it has worked, that it is some combination in the starting procedure that has done it. Basically I turn the key to the glow plug heat (wait c 20 secs), turn to right until engine fires up, return the key to the left (battery indicator out position) and away I go, but rev counter stays on zero. Any thoughts?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:19pm

I am concerned about this question because it seems as if you are putting the charge warning lamp out by turning the "ignition switch" to the off position. This suggest that you may have a faulty alternator because it is alternator output that turns the warning lamp off. Unfortunately I can not put diagrams on the forum so words have to do. Your switch starts in the off position. I think you have one anti-clockwise position which is the glowplug position. (This may not be the case but that is how I read your question). If you let go of the key in that position it should spring back to the OFF position. You then have one clockwise position which is unsprung and provides the feed to the instruments and warning lamps (run). The key should stay there if let go of. The next clockwise position will be Start OR (if you have no anti-clockwise position) Glowplug. If it is Glowplug there will be a further clockwise position to start the engine. The key should spring back to run from either of these positions but not hat I think you are doing is turning the switch off once the engine has started and thus depriving the warning lamps and instruments of any electrical supply. The key should be in the unsprung forst clockwise position when running. Tony Brooks

Bushy2006
Bushy2006

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:48am

Our Nanni has the second type of switch: 0 Off 1 Run 2 Glow plug 3 Start We have intermittent problems with the tach not working or indicating max revs in winter which we believe is due to condensation in the instrument panel.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.27 seconds.