Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
bluemist001
bluemist001

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:30pm

Post Subject: bmc 1.5

i have a 40ft n/b the engine [1.5 bmc]is keel cooled and lately seems to shoot up to 80 when first started then goes back to 40 after half hour is this normal or is a sign that the head gasket is on the way out.kenny kemp [bluemist]

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:21am

Although faulty head gaskets can do very odd things I would not expect one to "cure itself" after half an hour. The 1.5 normally operates with something like a 80 degree thermostat unless someone has fitted a lower temperature one but even the I would expect the temperature to be above 60 degrees. When cars do this it often indicates they are very short of coolant so the temperature transmitters has become uncovered and it is usually related to a coolant leak. However a boat does not have all that wind blowing around the engine cooling the outside of it so to be honest I am at a bit of a loss. Make sure the system is topped up and the skin tank bled of air (I assume by keel cooling you actually mean skin tank cooling because a keel cooler is rather different). Then try a new thermal transmitter and check the alternator drive belt tension (in case it is slipping). If it is still playing up I think you need to talk to a well recommended engineer who actually has a method of testing for head gasket failure. Tony Brooks

bluemist001
bluemist001

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:17pm

thanks for your help tony itook your advice and have a marine engineer looking at this moment once again thanks kenny bluemist

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.71 seconds.