Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
PEGYDON
PEGYDON

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:19am

Post Subject: SERVICING FOR WINTER LAY-UP

I usually have my boat serviced for the winter, it was fully serviced with anti-freeze October last year and I have done approx 150-200hrs boating this season. Himindoors thinks I should wait till the Spring, I would appreciate views on this.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:43am

Post Subject: SERVICING FOR WINTER LAY-UP

Well, it all depends upon what you mean by lay-up, where you are on the system, what your bet is for the severity of the coming winter and the service interval fro your engine. Layup is far more than an engine service. AT the least it should also include provision of some form of frost protection for the domestic water system and that sort of thing needs doing within six weeks or so. When we ran on high sulphur fuel there was a distinct possibility that sulphuric acid would collect in the engine oil. Especially on canal boats that tend to rarely get their engine oil to optimum temperature so the advice was to change the oil and filter before the winter layup. Now we have had a season of running on low sulphur fuel that will not be such a problem so I think it is very much down to the choice and convenience of individual boaters. I would point out that some older engines have a 100 hour service interval and if you have one of those it is overdue. Few if any have more than a 300 hour service interval so do it at your convenience. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.28 seconds.