Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
robertcas
robertcas

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:40am

Post Subject: 1993 Bayliner Jazz

Hope someone can help? Since I am a woman and bought this jet boat, 1993 bayliner jazz, for my son,in 2004, and it was a lemon I guess, put 2200 dollars in replacing the whole electrical system, and have never even had it in the water except once. Now, I live on the lake ready to get some use out of it and now I get no spark from the coil, I don't have money now to put in it. Can someone help?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:58pm

I am afraid that this type of boat is not one usually associated with the UK inland waterways system, although we do get Bayliners on the rivers and lakes and if it uses a coil it must be a petrol boat. Unfortunately as soon as I find someone asking questions about petrol engines I get very concerned because a fuel leak or spillage plus a single spark can and does kill people. If those dollars are US dollars I am even more worried about giving any advice that might result in litigation if anything goes wrong. If this is what, in the UK we call a Jetski then we can not help in any way. But a local motor cycle enthusiast may be able to. Is this an inboard engine or an outboard one? By 1993 I would expect all outboards to be using electronic ignition and although one can look for loose and broken wires a lack of spark usually involves a visit to a dealer who has the dedicated test equipment and the experience to find out exactly what part has failed. If it is an inboard I would still expect it to be using electronic ignition, but it might not be. Without seeing the system I can not tell you. You can use a meter to ensure you have a supply to the coil and the electronic control module but without exact information about the system I can say no more than that. If you do have a supply, once again it is probably a faulty control module, but depending upon exactly how you are trying to get a spark it might be a faulty coil. I can not say without testing the actual engine. If it not electronic ignition it could be as simple as contact points that need cleaning and adjusting or a broken/loose/dirty connection but I dare no risk encouraging you to delve into it in any greater depth. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:27am

I have been thinking about this overnight and there are two more things to check. I strongly suspect this boat has an engine kill device (a plug that the driver clips himself onto with a lanyard so if he gets thrown out of the boat the engine stops). If it has make sure the device is set so the engine will run. Secondly the engine may well have an ignition pulse generator of some sort. This needs checking because no pulses means the electronic brain will have no idea when to make a spark. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.28 seconds.