Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Purplearum
Purplearum

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:14pm

Post Subject: Boat base plate

Is it normal to 'black' the bottom of the base plate for new, or existing canal boats?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:16pm

I am afraid there is no one answer to this. If you have an old V bottomed boat like a Springer then it should be fairly simple to roll the boat one way and then the other so you can black those parts of the hull that are sitting on supports. If it is a flat bottomed boat it will involve far more work to expose those parts and might even require another crane hire, or charges for flooding and re-draining a dry dock. On a slipway one might have to jack the boat up to move the trolley below it. For this reason I think most people with a fairly modern flat bottomed boat tend to leave the bottom plate without blacking. Modern boats with a 10mm + bottom plate would take many years to corrode away from the bottom and I suspect they will corrode quicker from the inside. I note that some providers of expensive two part blacking products advocate bottom blacking. If you do black the bottom of the boat it will act as an insulator so any electrical corrosion will tend to concentrate in the small area of the scratch causing a deeper pit than it might if the damage was over a larger area. I would be very much more concerned about the type of blacking that is to be applied - especially if it is to go over existing blacking. If you boat on nice deep rivers there is far less chance of scraping blacking off the bottom plate than there is on shallow canals with debris in them. Tony Brooks

Purplearum
Purplearum

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:43pm

Very many thanks, I've just had the pleasure of saying "I told you so", to my husband!

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.55 seconds.