Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
BarryE
BarryE

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:55pm

Post Subject: Stern Tube

I have an 18 month old 57ft narrowboat with a Vetus stern tube, Izuzu 42 engine with a PRM 150 gearbox. The engine has done 600 hours and was not checked after 50 hours for alignment and when checked recently due to noise it was not aligned accurately. The prop shaft is very noisey. The boat is coming out of the water for blacking in 4 weeks so it seems the time to sort out the problem. The drive coupling is direct without any flexible coupling or thrust bearing so the engine mounts take the thrust of the prop.My questions are, must I have a flexible coupling? Do I need a thrust protection bearing on the shaft? Is changing the bearing within the realms of a competant diy,er? I am being told different things by suppliers so am confused between what is essential for the long term benefits to my boat and what would desirable for a more pleasent journey. Thanks in anticipation of your help. BarryE

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:04pm

I regret that all I can do is tell you to contact Vetus directly and give you their website address for the shafts and glands: http://www.vetusweb.com/manuals_55.php (all on one line). Tony Brooks

canalboat
canalboat

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:08pm

Hi Barry We've had a chat with Vetus who tell us your set-up sounds fine from your description (although you should have had the 50-hour alignment check). You don't need a thrust bearing but a flexible coupling would certainly help get rid of the vibrations.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.