Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
princessa
princessa

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:45pm

Post Subject: engine seized

i have a perkins d152 dcyl engine and it has griezed,wont crank or start.Is there anythink i can do,iv change oil again and still wont turn,i have little money as im goin through bad times at min with medical problems and unable to do alot at min,please can some one advise me as i feel trapped and very depressed stuck on the cov canal.any help will be appreciated.Nick

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:56pm

Dear Nick, it is very hard to give you much advice without a description of what lead up to this. From the scant information I have had time to glean on the web this seems to be a older engine so it is unlikely to utilise a cam timing belt, the failure of which can write and engine off. It is important to ensure the battery is well charged, the wiring and master switches serviceable and the starter is not itself faulty. First of all isolate the engine electrics and remove the starter motor. Use a large screwdriver as a lever between a flywheel tooth and the starter hole to try to lever the flywheel round. If it will not move take of any alternator/water-pump drive belts that may be fitted and try again. If it still will not move remove the glowplugs or injectors (whichever is easier). Try to turn it over again. If it moves this time water, oil or fuel could be blown out of the holes that you have exposed. In this case there is a good chance that you have at least one bent connecting rod. If it moves at this stage refit the battery and spin the engine a few times on the starter. Put a little oil into each cylindered and spin the engine again. Replace the glowplugs/injectors and try to start the engine. If it still will not move squirt plenty of diesel or very light oil into the cylinders and leave over night. Try levering the engine over again but this time you can apply a much force as you can on the longest lever. If it starts to move apply more oil and rock the flywheel back and forth with your lever, gradually increasing the amount of movement until you can turn the engine over several times. Refit the starter at that point, spin for a couple of 30 second pulses to eject the surplus oil and refit the injectors/glowplugs. Attempt to start and hope it will run without excess noise. If you can not move it by this time I fear it is terminal. If removing the belts allows it to turn over then you have a seized water pump or alternator. Tony Brooks

princessa
princessa

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:08pm

Cheer's for you help Tony,it all started over a year ago when the engin gradully reduced in speed to a point that u put it in to gear the engine stalled.I disscoved the injectors was causing that problem. I had them recleaned,put them back in the engine.At the same time i decided to do an oil change and i put a flushin solution in the oil.I startf the engine and it started perfect ,running nice and tryin to get engine hot until i realised diese was leaking from the nut on the injector,tried to tighten it but cudnt stop it,so i stopped the engine.Next time starting a poppin sound and black smoke came out of breather pip and oil cap,after that, the engine made speaking noise and siezed up.This is a tractor engine,i assume the problem is to do with oil and head gasget.i was very stressed at the time as i done a stupid thing

princessa
princessa

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:33pm

2, excuse my spelling as im typing from my mobile.The stuped thing i did is that i forgot to put oil in the new filter befor fitting it.i imagine ive caused a serious problem.hopefuly it can be sorted.Thanks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:08pm

First of all it is NOT usual practise to fill the filter with oil before replacing it. One just start the engine on idle and not rev it until the oil light goes out. This is NOT likely to be the cause. However I very much fear that adding flushing additive to the oil may have lifted a lot of muck off the engine insides and blocked the oil pump strainer (this is not the oil filter). This would starve the engine of oil and i fear you may have damaged the big end or main bearings. I must advise that the engine comes out and the sump comes off for further investigation. I am not sure much can be done without removing the engine. Let this be a lesson to other users of elderly engines who are thinking about using flushing oil of a flushing additive. Tony Brooks

princessa
princessa

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:31pm

thanks for the reply,it guiet upset me as i feel as im really doomed.Is it still worth puttin oil in injector holes..i imagine insurance company will be a waist of time,and how do u go about gettin a new engine and cost.any advise would be greatful thanks.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:14pm

If you follow ALL of my instructions you may strike ,lucky and free the engine. However If I am right about the oil pickup strainer being clogged then it will just seize again. I think your best bet is to ask the boaters around you for recommendations for a reliable engineer who can come to your boat and do any tests and advise/quote accordingly. The cost of getting another engine fitted will depend on the difficulty of the job and the engine selected - will it be new or secondhand. It may be cheaper to overhaul your existing engine but I can not see the cost being less then £1000 and it could easily rise to £6000 or more for a new engine. Sorry Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.