Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
bluemist001
bluemist001

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:33pm

Post Subject: stove

i am fitting a new stove can you recomend a good fire cement as i will be renewing the old fire tiles with quarry tiles.kenny kemp [blue mist]

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:05pm

I am sorry but fire cement is used inside stoves and possibly around chimney collars. Quarry tiles should not be put inside a stove, they may explode upon heating. If you are asking about sticking tiles to a stove surround then the first thing to say is DO NOT stick them to wood. Stick them to one of the insulating fire-proof boards such as Asbestolux, leaving an insulation air gap behind that board or fill the void with mineral wool. I used a heat resistant tile cement from B&Q on my boat and I have heard of others using silicon or cork glue. If using the latter make very sure all the fumes have dispersed before lighting the stove. AT this time of year silicon sealer may be the best option. Tony Brooks

bluemist001
bluemist001

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:11pm

thanks tony i am renewing the tile surround,not inside as thought,the base is still ok and i,m looking to use asbestolux as suggested,thanks for the b&q tip for cement kenny kemp

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.