Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
favours
favours

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:43pm

Post Subject: Re filling system

I have just drained down my calorifier, when I come to refill it is it ok just to run the water pump continuously until the domestic water system is full, as I believe to fill the calorifier will take several minutes. Are water pumps (Flojet) designed to run continuously for 10 - 12 minutes?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:37pm

I sincerely hope they will run longer than 10 to 12 minutes because I know some people who take longer than that in the shower and it can take longer than that to drain the system down. However if you need a definitive answer I must refer you to Flojet. If you have the instructions do not confuse the dry running time that may be a few minutes with the wet running time (actually pumping water) which may be unlimited or far, far longer. Because the water pump is a comparatively large currant consumer it is best to run it for longer periods with the engine running and charging or a battery charger working. Tony Brooks

favours
favours

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:18am

Tony, Thanks, I assumed so, but wanted some confirmation, I will be connected to a shoreline charging my batteries when I refill so that should be ok. Cheers for the reassurance. Duncan

favours
favours

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:58pm

Flojet spec. ok Whilst I am refilling the calorifier would I cause any damage if I were to start up the diesel central heating, my concern being that water would be passing through the heating coils of the calorifier, initially with little water surrounding them to act as a heat sink. I ask as I want to get some heat into the boat as soon as we arrive if possible.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:49pm

I very much doubt any damage will be done. The internal pipes are copper or stainless steel on the modern expensive calorifiers. Some use thin wall crimped pipes to give a greater surface area but those should be better at accommodating expansion that the solid copper ones. All I would caution you is that the central heating lecturers at TVU told me running the ENGINE without water in the calorifier to SUPPORT and damp any vibrations in the pipes could cause them to split. I have never known this on a vertical calorifier and the odd failure on horizontal one could not be defiantly attributed to any cause. I think you will be fine with just the central heating. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.56 seconds.