Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
wirren
wirren

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:55pm

Post Subject: Oil filter & fuel filters

Hi Tony, whilst changing the oil &filter I accidentally picked up my spare FUEL filter, filling it with new oil ready to fit. Obviously it wouldn't fit as it was a different size !! I emptied the oil out ..... My question is should I throw it away or rinse it with clean diesel & use it when I change the fuel filter. (Won't do it again). Mark.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:57pm

Post Subject: Oil filter & fuel filters

I really do not know where this need to fill oil filters before fitting them has come from. Most are either horizontally mounted or have an all through centre bolt so you are asking for a mess whichever way you do it. It should be enough to start the engine (which should still be warm) on idle and let it idle until the oil lamp goes out. For the cost of a fuel filter from a Motor Factors I would not think it was worth the trouble, but as long as you give it several rinses with clean diesel and use it fairly quickly so the residual oil does not form gum I would not expect any problems from re-using it. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.