Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
richardg
richardg

Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:32pm

Post Subject: Baby oil on paintwork

I heard a tip to shine the paintwork on a narrowboat is to apply baby oil. It does work but is it safe?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:16am

I am sure Phil will be able to go into the chemistry and discuss any possible reactions. However there are a number of different paints that could have been used so what is safe on (say) two pack epoxide may not be safe on coach enamel. But that is Phil’s department. I would remind you about the practice of “Arthur Daily” types of adding paraffin to the rinsing water just before a customer is due to view a car – it’s the same principle. Leave an oily film on the paint that makes it appear to shine and may also disguise the “chalking” of old faded paint. If you really want a film of oil on the surface of the paintwork, attracting dust, making the roof slippery, and gradually oxidising then I doubt it will do much harm on old paint work. However it will do little to prevent ultra violet degradation of the paint and will probably largely wash off in the first decent storm. I am sure a good quality wax polish will maintain its shine for far longer, tend to shed dust and protect the paint from the sun. Remember what Phil says about protecting pain, keep turning the boat on the moorings so the sun damage is not always to one side. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:14pm

Big Grin Did you not like the answer you got elsewhere? I trust we did a little better! Big Grin off

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.65 seconds.