Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Philbuck
Philbuck

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:01am

Post Subject: Inverter

Since we bought the boat new we have experienced electrical problems. When on shore line any appliance connected to the DC system that needs a surge of power I.e. a toaster, kettle, microwave is used the inverter fuse blows. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:19am

I hope that you meant the AC (mains) system otherwise I am not surprised a fuse blows! First of all we need to know the type of inverter - by that I need is it a straight inverter, an inverter-charger or an inverter that turns itself on to "make up" for excess demand a shoreline can not supply. From this I need to know if a shoreline is involved. Then I need to know the inverter's output rating in either KW or KVA. The make would help as well so we can judge the likely quality of construction and how conservatively it is likely to be rated. Just to add to the data the consumption of the appliances. Not the microwave's cooking power but the consumption that is on the label at the back. Then I may be able to judge if the problem is simply overloading a cheap inverter or a faulty inverter. Tony Brooks

Philbuck
Philbuck

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:58pm

Yes I did mean AC. It is a powermaster puresine inverter output 3000w and it is just an inverter

Philbuck
Philbuck

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:03pm

There is a switch to change from shoreline to inverter and the fuse on the inverter fails when the switch is on shoreline, it's almost as though the inverter doesn't "know"that it's on shoreline

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:43pm

Electric kettles are often 3KW so that may well be overloading the inverter and blowing the fuse but I fear it may have damaged it. Although the microwave is only likely to draw about 1500W it may well not like a modified sine wave inverter and this might make it draw excess power. I doubt the toaster gets to anything like 3KW so why that is blowing fuses I have no idea. I note the blurb says the inverter is protected against reverse connection by a fuse so please check the polarity of the DC wiring is correct, but if it was not I would expect the fuse to blow as soon as the DC was connected and long before you put an AC load on it. IF there was a fault on the AC circuit I would again expect the fuse to blow as soon as the DC is applied. ON balance and based solely on what you tell me I suspect the inverter is faulty but before you buy a new one it is vital that you ensure it is rated to supply your load plus starting surge. A long shot, but please check the DC cables are rated for at least 100 amps with no more than 0.5 volt of voltdrop along their length. If you have excess voltdrop caused by undersized DC cables there is a slight chance that the inverter will not start properly and sort of jam and draw a high current. If it is failing to start properly because of low voltage at its input the problem could also be insufficient batteries in the bank so the load is suppressing the voltage because of the batteries' internal resistance. I would hope the inverter would have been designed to simply refuse to start and flash warning lamps at you if it found low volatge but one can never be sure. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:44pm

URGENT - the 100 amps above should read: at least 300 amps. TB

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:42pm

Another thought. Some inverters are produced in a way that if the nominally neutral wire is connected to the boat's hull to provide an earth then problems are likely to ensue. You need to consult you manual or the importer's technical people to check if this is the case and then see how the boat is wired. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.62 seconds.