Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Robanne78
Robanne78

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:40pm

Post Subject: Anti frost protection

I am looking to provide my 57' boat with some anti frost protection whilst away from the boat this winter. my intention is to use either 2 x 2ft tube heaaters with thermostatic plug or 2 x thermostatic oil heaters to keep the chill off. The question is which is the most preferable. I intend to fit a galvanic isolator prior to plugging in the shore power for an extended period. This is the first full winter we have had the boat and I want to avoid the problems we encountered when the boat was handed over to us last January when the boat required a new heating circulating pump and fresh water pump before we could sail the boat away. Central heating system has a good level of anti freeze and fresh water system is isolated from the tank and taps left open. Any advice on the best heaters appreciated. Rob Eddon

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:36am

I think the more popular form is low wattage greenhouse type tubular heaters. These are designed for use in damp conditions where insects can crawl into small gaps. I think that you may find they are available with built in thermostats. Two further points. I trust you are not intending to run these off an inverter - you do not specifically mention a shoreline. Remember that it is not unknown for marina supplies to trip out leaving your boat with no electricity so using heaters does not avoid regular visits. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:22am

Further to my reply above. I have just read a report that an unnamed insurance company has recently amended their clauses to say that any heaters used must be designed for marine use. I know of no such heaters. Please carefully check your insurance documents Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.30 seconds.