Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
peterlj
peterlj

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:46pm

Post Subject: OIl Change

It`s time for an oil change on my recently acquired boat. It has a Perkins mc 42 diesel engine. The manual recommends an oil specification of APICC/SE but does not give you any recommendations as to any products. I know my engine is on the old side but it is solid and has never let me down and I would hate to use the wrong grade of oil in it. Can you help please. Peter.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:51pm

Post Subject: OIl Change

The API CC specification (ignore the SE because its for petrol engines) is a performance standard so any API CC oil will be fine. You will also have an SAE viscosity rating for the oil. I suspect it will be SAE 20W50 or SAE 30. This is a measure of the oils "runnyness" so again any make that meets the SAE SAE/viscosity given in the manual will do. I know Comma oils make both an HD SAE30 oil in API CC and also a SAE 20W50 oil in API CC and these are often sold in motor factors. Morris oils can be bought mail order or through many chandlers. You can also look in farmers stores. If you can find an SAE 15W40 oil in API CC I am sure it will also be fine. Just remember ant make will do as long as it specifies API CC and the viscosity rating given in your hand book. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.