Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
garrisson2
garrisson2

Posted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:23pm

Post Subject: Blocked Macerator

Hi, After years of hiring boats I now have a new one, problem is I had never had to deal with a blocked toilet on the boats or pump-outs, now I have a blocked macerator, it seems too much or wrong quality paper has been used, when I operate the pump the contents of the bowl seem to swirl around, after several attempts to completely fill the bowl with water and try to pump, still no luck. The metal downpipe to the holding tank seems to be clear but on removing the rubber outlet pipe from the pump I cannot get anything through even with the pump switched on. My question is can I reverse the pump wiring to briefly operate and pump backwards or is it a strip out job with the rubber gloves firmly attached. Thanks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:47pm

If it is a permanent magnet motor then transposing the positive and negative leads at the motor might reverse its direction, but it will operate at a lower power and if you get it wrong you might wreck any associated electronics. In all those toilets I have seen the rubber outlet hose can be removed from the macerator end to give fair access to the actual impeller/macerator. However you MUST NEVER mess about in that area with the power on. If you do and the thing suddenly starts you could loose a finger – rubber gloves or not! Because a stalled electric motor will often draw enough current t to burn itself out the toilet should be equipped with some form of safety device, fuse, circuit breaker or automatic device. Read the toilet instructions in case it needs resetting once you have freed the impeller. So it is extra long marigolds, hooky pieces of wire, pliers and some old towels for mopping up. Now you know why I would never have anything but a “dump through” toilet. As long as the tank is properly vented (most are not) they do not smell. In fact the smell outside a boat with a vacuum or macerator toilet can be terrible during a flush.

garrisson2
garrisson2

Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:54pm

Thanks Tony, I just thought if there was a quicker way rather than strip out the toilet pan completely to access the pipe work. regards John

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.23 seconds.