Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
MOZ
MOZ

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:52pm

Post Subject: oil change

I am about to change the oil and filter in my OLD Perkins 4108 and was thinking of running a flushing oil through fisrt. My question is ,if I use flushing oil do I run it through before or after I change the filter. Maurice

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:12am

Post Subject: oil change

On your own head be it - but before you change the filter. If the 4-108 still has the paper cartridge you could remove the cartridge and flush without a filter. Personally I would never use flushing oil or a flushing additive on an old engine where I did not know its history. There is too much chance of it softening but not removing internal deposits so very soon after you change the oil and filter the new filter blocks so allowing unfiltered oil to lubricate the engine. There is also a chance that it may remove sufficient deposits to block or restrict the strainer in the sump. If you know the engine has always had oil changes at the correct intervals AND has been kept clean inside then by all means flush it. I would make an exception under specific circumstances if the engine has hydraulic valve lifters but yours does not. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.