Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
liam_slade
liam_slade

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:45pm

Post Subject: V bottomed springer

I haver a v bottomed narrowboat that I cannot stand upright in. under the wooden floor there are struts about every 5 feet along the boat for the boards to sit on. Are they simply to support the floor boards or will they be an important part of the boat? I am thining of taking them out so that I can lower the floor level but obviously do not want to do that if the boat is going to fall apart if I do :) Buying a new (taller) boat is not an option at the moment...

V bottomed springer
Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:45am

Post Subject: V bottomed springer

I am not a surveyor or naval architect but there is every chance that they are holding the sides together and preventing the V bottom rising up to a flatter profile whilst pushing the sides apart. Springers are, by and large, made from thin steel so you can not rely upon the "box section" of the gunwales, hull side, and hull bottom to provide sufficient strength. I must give you a very strong caution against removing them. The same applies to any fillet pieces that may protrude through the floor at the sides of the boat. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.30 seconds.