Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
shirley16
shirley16

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:47pm

Post Subject: oil coming out of breather on top of a PRM120D gearbox

can you tell me the cause of the loss of oil from the breather of my PRM120D gear box.

shirley16
shirley16

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:48pm

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:43pm

The only answer I can give is that it has been overfilled with oil or,it is just possible the bilge has flooded and filled the box with water. In the later case the oil will be creamy but you would know if that was it. The breather is on the front of the box so it can not be anything to do with the engine being installed at too greater angle. Remove the dipstick - big brass "nut" on top, towards back of box and on the starboard side (I think). Wipe the dipstick and drop it back into the box - DO NOT SCREW IT IN. Lift it out and lay the stick along the back of your hand. This will give a clear indication of where the oil level is. It should be no higher than the LOWER of the two marks OR if there is only one mark the oil should just about touch the bottom of the stick. Tony Brooks

Sebastian
Sebastian

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:52pm

There is a modified breather for this box as it had problems with this happening. try asap supplies. mine does this too sometimes - when overworked i think

Sebastian
Sebastian

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:52pm

There is a modified breather for this box as it had problems with this happening. try asap supplies. mine does this too sometimes - when overworked i think

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.30 seconds.