Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
hobbyhorse
hobbyhorse

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:06pm

Post Subject: Oil Filter

Would you recommend the use of a ceramic magnet oil filter on a Beta 43 engine?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:57pm

I regret that I must advise you to talk to Beta about this. We can not risk being held liable if you damage your engine by fitting non-standard parts. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:24am

My first reply still stands. I spent some time last night googling the subject and am forced to two conclusions. The first relates to fools and cash whilst the second relates to lubricant excreted from reptiles. One site even claimed NO CONSUMABLES which, as much of what you are trying to filter out is carbon, which is not magnetic, is clearly misleading. Another suggested putting a magnet into the CLEAN side of the filter. For many years we have had magnetic sump plugs and as a one off cost they do no harm and may do some good. I think critical engine applications like aviation may well use magnets and analyse what they trap to judge when major preventive maintenance is required. A typical new inland boat engine will outlive the majority of owners as far as major wear is concerned so why try to extend its life unless you can do it for very little cost. Apart from the valves & guides, push-rods, cams & followers. and rings and cylinders all the other wearing parts are made from a combination of tin, lead, copper and aluminium - all non-magnetic! The dirt in the old oil is carbon from combustion and that is also non-magnetic. I would be far more concerned that the two valves in filters and the pore size and flow rate met Beta's or more likely Kubota's standards than trying to extend the life of an already extremely long lived piece of machinery. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.34 seconds.