Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
peterlj
peterlj

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:25am

Post Subject: Holding tanks

Hello, I am now starting to reintroduce a pump out toilet to my boat. The tank will be made of mild steel and will sit on the wooden floor of my boat. Do I need to insulate / isolate the bottom of the tank from the timber floor and if so what do you recommended please.The floor is 5/8 inch 8x4 ft sheeting.The bottom of the tank will be below the water line but it will be in an area that is insulated. Thank you, Peter

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:24pm

Post Subject: Holding tanks

I know that you have not mentioned this but I suspect that you may have to remove ballast to keep the boat more or less level. If you have to cut the floor to do this you may well be able to fit a larger tank sitting on the base plate. This question does not make clear why you think the tank may need insulation OR what you are insulating against - thermal, electrical, or galvanic insulation. If its thermal all I can say is that I have seen few if any boats with insulated holding tanks and if it was sitting on the base plate the water, which will usually be unfrozen, will help to prevent the contents freezing - but then again I have not known the contents to freeze. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.57 seconds.