Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
bobcotter
bobcotter

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:19pm

Post Subject: Water Pump Pressure

Hi, My water pump only comes on every time I turn on the taps but does not build any pressure in the accumulator to release the water gradually without the pump being activated again. What can be the proble - is it the diaphram in the accumulator or an air lock in the pump system? I have considered buying a new pump and accumulator - or can it be fixed simply without going to this expense?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:28am

This answer assumes that you know it is an accumulator and not an expansion vessel. Both are the same thing but pressurised differently and if you get this wrong with certain installations you might damage the calorifier. If you have a Pressure Relief Valve on the hot water system, on or close to the calorifier then it is probably an accumulator. Even if it is not damage is less likely. The only way to allow the water to "release gradually" is but only opening the tap a little, the more you open it the less gradually the water flows. This has nothing to do with the accumulator. If you mean that the pump starts almost the instant you open a tap then the most likely explanation is no air in the accumulator. This could be a split diaphragm or a leaking body. First you need to identify the accumulator type. If it is long and thin, mounted vertically with the pipes at the bottom, of similar proportions to a lemonade bottle and with no cap or valve on the domes top then remove it and shake all the water out of it. If it is much wider and it has a plastic cap or valve at the opposite end to the pipes. With the pump of an a tap open unscrew any plastic cap from the accumulator to gain access to the valve. Using a car type adaptor or foot pump put about 15 psi into the accumulator (use a car tyre gauge to check). If you can not build the pressure up and the tap gurgles you have a split diaphragm. If the tap is silent the body is probably punctured. Once you have about 15 psi in the accumulator close the tap and turn the pump on. When the pump turns off measure the pressure again. This will be the pump cut off pressure. Reset the air pressure to about half this value. If you have a dial type gauge you can then open a tap a little and measure the pressure at which the pump cuts back in. Re-adjust the pressure to this value. Tony Brooks

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:18pm

Thanks Tony. The pump does come on the instant I turn the tap on and goes off when I turn it off. It does sound like it has no air in the accumulator so I will try the latter suggestions to reset the air pressure in the accumulator. If the diaphragm is punctured, will I need a new accumulator or can it be repaired?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:56am

A new one I am afraid but before you buy from a marine outlet price them at your local plumbers' merchants. Just make sure you specify for potable water.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.55 seconds.