Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
phantom51
phantom51

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:37pm

Post Subject: BMC 1500 timing cover removal

Hi Tony, I need to change the oil seal & Gasket on my timing cover on my bmc 1500 - but I cant remove the large nut on the crankshaft end to get the pulley off. Is there a way to hold the shaft/pulley still so that the nut can be removed?...many thanks,,Dave

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:41am

Post Subject: BMC 1500 timing cover removal

BMC originally supplied what I think is called a slugging spanner, which is a ring type spanner designed to be hit with a large hammer. However the advent of impact drivers has made those redundant. I fear the easiest way is to remove the starter motor (I know the oil filter may have to come off as well and one of the bolts is far from easy). Then use a large screwdriver between the ring gear teeth to lock the flywheel. This is probably a two man job. One on the screwdriver and one on the socket. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.