Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
thestourbr
thestourbr

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:27pm

Post Subject: Central Heating Circulating pump

Hi there, My boat is fitted with a 12V cirulating pump for the central heating. This time of year its in use pretty continuously. There are no instructions on checking brushes (indeed I am told there arnt any!) I just wondered if I should change the pump at some point to prevent failure or do these things just go on and on! The boat and pump are 6 years old.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:50pm

Post Subject: Central Heating Circulating pump

I can confirm that it is perfectly possible that the motor may well be brushless. If so it will use an electronic control to drive a stepper motor type machine. I doubt anyone will give you a direct answer to your question, especially as you do not identify the make and model of pump. The best you can do is to contact the technical department of the maker/importer and ascertain the MBF Mean Time Between Failure - if they will tell you that - and use that figure to decide your bets course of action. After 6 years of running 24/7 every winter I think I would be inclined to at least find out the cost and source of a spare. I dimly remember one of the pumps had a short life of something like 1000 or 1500 hours, but please check the paperwork. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.23 seconds.