Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
holman
holman

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:55pm

Post Subject: Tappet Adjustment on BD3

Hi, I have a Beta BD3 installed in the engine room and would like to check/adjust the tappet clearances. In the past I have adjusted the tappets on car petrol engines by removing the plugs and rocking the car backwards and forwards or by turning the fan belt pulley until the correct valve is closed, how do I do this on the BD3 in the boat ?? Ray Holman

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:29pm

The correct way is to put a socket or suitable spanner on the bolt/nut securing the crankshaft pulley and turn the engine over with that. In an ideal world you would operate the stop to ensure the engine will not start but as long as you do it on a cold engine and only turn it over slowly starting is extremely unlikely. When you come up against compression simply pause while the pressure leaks through the piston ring gaps. However I am aware that in many installations this is very difficult or impossible so AT YOUR OWN RISK and recognising this is bad practise put the spanner on the alternator pulley nut, push the slack side of the belt when turning the nut inwards and the engine will turn. Again only turn it slowly and wait for the compression to leak away. Now - being a 3 cylinder engine your car methods might not work to get the cam in the correct position to adjust the clearances. If you need to know how to do it come back and ask. Tony Brooks

holman
holman

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:49pm

Hi Tony, Thank you for the prompt reply. Yes, I would like advise on how to position the cam, information I have seen says close both valves on one cylinder and check but how do you know the valves are closed,or is there another ? Ray Holman

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:37pm

Turn the engine over until one valve is fully down/open. Mark front pulley with chalk or white board marker. Turn engine one complete turn until the mark is roughly where it started (you could be an inch out either way without a problem). Rub off chalk/pen mark. Adjust that valve - the one that was fully open. Note which valves you have done and move onto the next one. Tony Brooks

holman
holman

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:42pm

Hi Tony, Thank you very much for the information. I will give it a try (when it get's warmer) Ray Holman

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.38 seconds.