Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Sheilatite
Sheilatite

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:59am

Post Subject: Boat alarms

Could you tell me if there is a boat alarm suitable for our a 70ft narrow boat to monitor the boat when we are not on board / and on board for smoke detection ext The shell has just been finished and we are now starting the fit out Regards Sheila

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:05pm

Post Subject: Boat alarms

If the alarm is to be useful when you are not aboard you will require one that "phones home" when it detects a problem and there appears to be many such devices. I Googled "Boat alarm via phone" and got lots of hits. Many talk about low battery and bilge water but others say their box can talk to any other wired or wireless sensors. Such alarms will put a load on the boat's batteries so I am not sure they are such a good idea unless you can provide either a shore-power charger or perhaps solar charging. I would advise that you spend time studying the various products and their ongoing costs. I suspect most inland boaters use domestic type smoke and CO alarms when they are on the boat. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.27 seconds.