Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
littlejim
littlejim

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:43pm

Post Subject: Buying a boat

Do I need a solicitor on the purchase of a new narrow boat,if not what certificates do I need to ensure I have?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:00pm

Post Subject: Buying a boat

You do not need a solicitor when buying boat but even if it is new It would be a good idea to make sure the vendor signs a declaration that the boat is his to sell with no loans etc. (I think they are called "encumbrances") outstanding and that all invoices related to that boat have been paid. If the boat is new then you need to see ALL the documents relating to the Recreational Craft directive. This should include a boat manual a AND a declaration certificate to say that the boat complies with the RCD for whatever grade of waterway it is designed for. Failure to provide this certificate is an offence. Do not part with any money until you have seen that it exists. You would be very well advised to instruct your own surveyor to look over the boat and to carry out a Boat Safety Inspection. That should indicate problems with a fraudulent RCD certificate and also ensure the boat should pass a BSS inspection in four years time. The RCD and BSS have slightly different demands but inland boats should be built to satisfy both. Please read the question about weed hatches below. With older boats you need to see a list of invoices for moorings/work done/ license receipts etc. that help indicate the boat is owned by the vendor. As far as I know there is no documents that prove the vendor has the right to sell an inland boat. Even the Small Ship registration Scheme documents do not prove ownership. Few, if any, private inland boats carry full British Vessel Registration because of cost and bureaucracy. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.29 seconds.