Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:34am

Post Subject: Bow Thruster position.

Obviously the closer to the bow a Thruster is positioned the better, having said this is there any reason why the Thruster cannot be installed close to or just within the cabin area? This would allow a greater volume of integral water-tank under the forward deck. On a 70ft (21m) narrowboat could this compromise be accounted for by installing a Thruster that exerts a great force? If offset the thruster access will be either port or starboard of the forward cabin door.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:07pm

Post Subject: Bow Thruster position.

If you know the point about which the boat tends to pivot you could work out the turning moment by multiplying the thruster force by the distance in fron of the pivot point. You could then experiment with a spring balance and rope fitted at a similar place to the thruster to see if it made a significant difference. Personally on 70ft I doubt the difference would be noticeable and, more to the point, suitable "boxing in" would give you far better access for fault finding and maintenance. Without having tried it (my bow thruster lives on the roof or as a spring fixed to a rear T stud) I agree with what you say. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 42.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 2. Total Runtime: 0.58 seconds.