Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
stevieb
stevieb

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:23pm

Post Subject: Hydraulic transmission

I have a narrowboat with bmc 2.2 engine & it has Hydraulic transmission.My question is what is the correct oil level, the gauge on the side of the oil tank has a temperture gauge but i cant see a mark to show where the oil level should be? The filler cap has UCC stamped on top, is this the maufacturer of the transmission unit? hope you can help as i dont want to over or under fill it. Thanks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:39pm

There have been several assemblers of such transmissions, but as far as I know they all use parts that are readily available for such things as cranes and JCBs. I think UCC is just the maker of the filler cap assembly which was then fixed to the reservoir.I expect the reservoir could be only half full and the system would still work but it may aerate the oil and cause cavitation in the pump so I agree it is important to keep it topped up but the oil use should be absolutely minimal until something decides to leak.I would suggest that you go on a long hard run to get the oil really hot and then top up to within half an inch of the underside of the reservoir top. When the oil cools it will contract and the level will drop. Note the new level and top up to this. Even if you overfilled it the only problem on most systems would be the oil spilling from the vent in the cap.Please observe absolute cleanliness when topping up.If this system  is less than about 8 years old it may well be produced by Anglian diesel under the ARS (I think that's the name) brand. They tend to paint their equipment red.Tony Brooks

stevieb
stevieb

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:46pm

Thanks for your quick responce i will take your advice & keep it well topped up. If you have time could you give a brief explanation of how Hydraulic transmission works? THANKS

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:31pm

Very hard with no formatting on the website and so few punctuation marks.The engine drives a hydraulic pump of some sort. Modern ones are swash plate pumps but there have been everything from gear pumps, through vane to sine pumps used in the past. This will be an "off the shelf" part from hydraulic equipment suppliers and will be very similar to the pumps on tractors etc.The oil is directed to a sliding spool valve via a pressure relief valve.If the prop fouls and jambs or if as you go from ahead to astern instantly a high pressure pulse is created in the system. The PRV opens at this point to vent excess pressure back into the reservoir to prevent mechanical damage.The spool valve, again straight off other types of equipment, directs the oil flow straight back to the reservoir when it is set to neutral. When you engauge a gear oil is directed down one hose to a hydraulic motor fitted to the prop-shaft and back up the other pipe to the spool valve where it is directed back to the reservoir. Sliding the valve to the other gear position simply reverses the flow through the two hoses.The motor again is likely to now be a swash plate motor, but all sorts have been used in the past.There is usually an oil cooler between the valve and reservoir and also an oil filter.In trust this helps.Tony Brooks

Hydraulic transmission

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.57 seconds.