Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
martynw
martynw

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:10pm

Post Subject: Engine bay soundproofing

I recently fitted lead lined foam panels under the floor panels of the engine compartment on my semi trad. They have helped reduce engine noise, but I wondered if fitting acoustic foam (eggshell type)around the sides of the engine compartment would also be suitable. It would certainly be easier to fit in place on vertical steel surfaces than more lead lined panels. I would welcome your views on this. Martyn

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:44pm

The lead is to attenuate the low frequency sounds that engines make a lot of. I suspect the acoustic foam is more directed at making a "dead room" by limiting the sound bouncing off hard surfaces rather than attenuating it. However this will have some effect but how much is open to question. I also think you need to be aware of how fireproof the material is. Make sure the hatch sits on closed cell neoprene strips so no sound can leak through the gaps. I found a "nearly" hospital silencer made the largest difference. "Nearly" because I could not get a full hospital silencer into the engine room. Tony Brooks

alanclarke
alanclarke

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:35pm

if i may add my own experience to the forum. when i purchased my trad style boat 5 years ago it had no sound proofing in the engine room and the exhaust wouldn't been out of place on an Austin Mini due to the size of the exhaust, i went about lining the engine room boards with the lead layer type sound proofing i also fitted as Tony described as a nearly hospital type silencer and what a difference it has made, when my wife is walking the dog on the towpath she has commented on how quiet the boat is as has so many other boaters, i also now have to make anglers aware that i am approaching them, ( no grief recieved from angler, more thank's than any thing from them. )My advice would be make sure you check at what size exhausts are available to suit what space you have available in your engine room before you purchase one, hope this helps, Alan

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.32 seconds.