Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
sooty1957
sooty1957

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:58pm

Post Subject: wind charger connection

I have a sterling battery charger which includes a solar panel controller. I have a single 80watt panel connected. Can I connect a Rutland (503) 12v wind charger in parallel with the panel if I use an isolating diode as I would if I was to connect another solar panel? Or do I nee a seperate controller? Thankyou steve

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:37am

Modern solar panels normally have their own internal diodes so adding another would only introduce extra voltdrop and that would reduce the charge available. Regrettably as I have no details about your charger I must refer you to Sterling for a definitive answer. However what I can tell you is that you must never exceed the charger's rated input current for solar and adding the wind charger (if allowed) may do that. Hopefully readers with similar setups will give you their experiences. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:38pm

Further to this question. Most solar panels sold for use on boats have a maximum volatge of around the 15 to 17 volts where as a wind generator's voltage may go much higher as the speed increases. This will depend how the wind charger is regulated. I suspect that before Sterling can give you an answer you will have to know all about the wind generator. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.