Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
colin4168
colin4168

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:52am

Post Subject: overflow

i am a new owner and after running the engine i have hot water runnung from an overflow outside the boat for quite a while when all is switched off many thanks colin

colin4168
colin4168

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:53am

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:04am

All calorifier hot water systems should have a pressure relief valve that vents water as the calorifier heats up and the water expands. However this does not normally go on for long. I need to know more about what "all switched off" means. If its is just the engine turned off then either the PRV is leaking (find it and twist the cap a few times with the pump turned on - it may work) or the pump cut out pressure is higher than the PRV opening pressure. This could be caused by a faulty pressure switch on the pump. This all assumes it is domestic hot water running out of the side of the boat. A very long shot but just maybe someone has piped the coolant overflow to a skin fitting and as the hose will only be about 1/4" diameter it could vent expanded coolant after you turn the engine off. However this suggests that you would be overfilling the engine. It would help if you told us what the domestic water pump does - how often does it run with the taps turned off and is it running when the water is coming out of the hull. Tony Brooks

colin4168
colin4168

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:42am

many thanks for your reply i did notice that the water pump was running longer than usual i will get this checked ..thanks tony for your prompt reply...colin

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:56am

If the water pump is running longer than usual the causes could be: 1. Discharged batteries 2. reluctant pressure switch 3. Leaking PRV, but in this case the pump would not only run longer but more often with all the taps shut. Please locate the PRV (normally on or very close to the calorifier and give the cap a few turns. If you have some scale on the seat this may be all that is required to shift it. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.36 seconds.