Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
merc180
merc180

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:45pm

Post Subject: swans neck removal

I have a liverpool boat with a lot of play in the swan neck how do you remove it? it has no nuts to undo seems to be just pushed on

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:52pm

Although nothing tends to be "standard" on narrowboats that company tended to have a loose rudder blade held into a slotted rudder stock by three bolts and when these bolts wear/work loose you get play. Unless you know what you are doing because you have done it before I would suggest that you soldier on until the boat is slipped for blacking or the rudder blade falls off. Once the back of boat is out of the water it shoudl all become clear. Tony Brooks

alanclarke
alanclarke

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:36pm

hi there, i have been away for a few weeks and just catching up on this web site and noticed your queary, i have had my boat out for blacking this last week and needed my tiller bearing replacing and like yours there were no top nut holding the swan neck on to the rudder shaft but all became clear when she was out on the slip way. My swan neck and rudder shaft is all one piece so when new it would have possible to pull the tiller up through the bearing but the rudder would have fallen off as the shaft (with a square end) just slotted into a square hole on the rudder, what had to be done was to remove the 4 nuts holding the bearing retaining plate in place then with a piece of wood and a hammer hit the plate to break any paint etc holding the plate in place then with some one supporting the rudder pull the whole lot up, tiller with the shaft along with the bearing and plate,the bearing and plate was then hammered off the the shaft, the shaft then cleaned before a new plate and bearing was fitted and every thing was refitted in reverse, the one thing we did do was to tack weld the shaft on to the rudder as this would cut out any unwanted ratteling between the shaft and rudder, as in a few years time the boat needs to be out of the water to replace this type of bearing (as it rusts on to the shaft)it wouldn't be a problem to grind off the tack weld to do the job required, Hopes this helps, Alan

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.57 seconds.