Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
jandncribb
jandncribb

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:32am

Post Subject: Anchors

I am going to take my 57ft narrowboat onto the Thames for the first time (both the non tidal section downstream from Oxford, and on the tidal section as far as Brentford). 1. What weight of anchor should I buy? 2. What length of chain/rope do I need? (in response to a previous question I noticed that you suggested the rope should be 6 times the depth of the water, but I have no idea of the depth of the Thames!) I'd welcome your advice please Nigel

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:12pm

Post Subject: Anchors

I am afraid that I have no idea about the depth of the Thames and in any case it varies greatly. I would advise you to get a proper chart for the Teddington to Brentford section so you can read the depth. Above oxford much of the river is around 4 or 5 ft deep but it is likely to have holes in the bed. There are a number of websites that that explain anchoring but these are mainly fro sea boats with a good working deck and most likely an anchor winch. You need an anchor that you can lift when it has (say) 6 ft of chain on it. This will probably mean a lighter one that often recommended. My suggestion would be between 10 and 20ft of chain and then plenty of rope. Please make sure the rope is attached to something really secure. It has been known for welded T studs to come off when the rope snatches. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.54 seconds.