Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
stalingrad
stalingrad

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:39pm

Post Subject: cutlass type shaft bearing

What are the benefits or drawbacks of fitting a cutlass shaft bearing to a N/B

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:57am

For others reading this message. A Cutless bearing consists of a brass sleeve with a fluted rubber insert to act as a water lubricated bearing. ADVANTAGES. 1. Water lubricated so may be a very good match for some of the packless stern-glands that do not use a greaser providing any inboard bearing also does not require lubrication. 2. Will allow a small degree of angular misalignment of the shaft so may not transmit so much "noise" to the hull (as long as any inboard bearing also allows such flexibility). 3. No need for a stern gland greaser PROVIDING the rest of the stern tube assembly also requires no grease. DISADVANTAGES. 1. Water lubricated, do canal boats actually float in water or a very thin mud and grit soup? If the later may be subject to faster wear than a plain greased bearing. 2. No way of forcing grit out from the bearing. 3. Will probably require changing long before a similar plain bearing provided the plain bearing is kept well greased. 4. If grit gets embedded in the rubber may wear the shaft. 5. May squeak if water supply is inadequate. 6. Can be a right ................. to press out for removal - but I expect the same applies to the plain metal bearings. Personally I would have no qualms about using one on major rivers, but would not have one on a canal boat, but then I would not have a packless stern gland either. Tony Brooks

stalingrad
stalingrad

Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:56pm

Many thanks for the advice I have come to the same conclusion as I have had a non packsble gland fail after 141hrs due to silt pump into it by a cutless bearing,the seals life should have been 2400hrs.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:31am

Thanks for the feedback, I was beginning to think I was turning into a Luddite, but you have confirmed my fears. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.