Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
arpumfrett
arpumfrett

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:49pm

Post Subject: Integral Water Tank

I wish to eventually own my own boat and live a board, mooring for up to fourteen days i am considering a larger than prefabricated intergreated fresh water tank. Can somebody tell me if there are any pit-falls with regard to freezing in Winter? and is there a way of dealing with this? Regards A R Pumfrett.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:58pm

Post Subject: Integral Water Tank

As you do not say I will assume that this is to be a steel canal boat. I think that even on the Scottish canals the ice is only every inches thick, not feet, so the lower part of the hull will sit in water that is a little above freezing. That heat will be conducted through the hull into the water so helping to prevent it freezing. Even if it did freeze then as long as the tank is not full, with an air gap above the water, the ice will expand into the gap and do no damage. I think that you need to be more concerned about the internal plumbing when you leave the boat for longer periods but careful design in using plastic pipes, keeping them below the waterline and insulating them will go some way towards avoiding problems - as will leaving the pump off and the taps open. Then there is the shower pump to think about. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.54 seconds.