Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
chandley12
chandley12

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:28pm

Post Subject: new to it all

hello my mum wants to buy a house boat for her and her two children to live on full time with a dog. we have a moring. but have no idea on what size, how much and whats good. it needs to be a 3 bedroom, as the children can not share. we are luck as we are all small people, but have no idea on what size would be good. we live in ely cambridgshire and would appricate any help on what to look for. she wants a narrow boat. thank you for your time charlotte.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:33am

First of all please make sure that she has done all the sums because general opinion is that if you intend to obey the rules then living on a boat cost much the same as living ashore. Ely is in the Fens so she needs to make sure that she understands any rules the Environment Agency has about moorings etc. I have no idea about the ages but if any children are young please remember most need space to run about in during prolonged incidents of bad weather, maybe a narrow boat would not be ideal. If you are looking for 3 sleeping cabins, a galley & living cabin then I think you will be looking at 60ft at least and possibly 72ft. Many moorings do not officially allow residential use so take care. Those that do may well attract council tax and if on one where the operator "turns a blind eye" you could well find that you get turned off with virtually no notice. PLEASE ask her to think very carefully before buying a boat. Get her to look at lots of boats and get a survey before purchasing it. A "cheap" boat could cost you as much again in hull rectification work if you are unlucky. Tony Brooks

Realist
Realist

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:41pm

Hi Charlotte, When you say you are small people I take it you mean not tall, how tall you are doesn't matter but we all need our own space around us. Living on a narrow boat is not ideal for a family with a dog, also is your Mum good at basic maintenance ie; plumbing,mains electric, battery electric, woodwork,painting, engine maintenance. I don't want to put the mockers on your dreams but these things need to be considered, to get say a electrician in to solve a problem that would cost you £30 per hour plus if you can't do it yourself. we call our boat a floating moneybox wer'e forever spending on it. Good luck.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.53 seconds.