Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
phantom51
phantom51

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:35am

Post Subject: Overheating air cooled Lister Petter engine

Hi Tony, A friend has just purchased a 60 footer with a lister petter engine ( air cooled) and it seems to be overheating. I havent seen the boat yet but have been asked what the likely cause/s could be - do you have any suggestions please?..

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:35pm

First of all I would want to know how he knows it is over heating because unless he has a temperature gauge, which I have never seen on an air cooled canal boat engine, he must be making his own diagnosis from symptoms. Without those symptoms I can not agree with him. If this is one of the old Petters with the large rectangular rocker covers in a full sized engine room the I have my doubts about overheating unless he is running it with an inadequate supply of cool air (via an engine room door say) or doe snot have the cooling air exhausting out of the boat via trunking. If it is in a typical stern engine bay then I would again suggest the supply of cool air and removal of hot air needs looking at. If he is using Lister Petter to refer to one of the smaller SL/SR types then as long as the points above are adequate I would suspect the lubrication oil is being diluted by a leak from one of the internal fuel pipes but on the basis of what you tell me I remain to be convinced it is actually overheating. Can you get him to let me know the symptoms and any previous history. Tony Brooks

phantom51
phantom51

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:21pm

Hi Tony, thank you for your quick response - I will pass your reply on to him and get him to contact you.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.