Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
favours
favours

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:49pm

Post Subject:

I was unsure of the wiring of my charger/inverter with regard to battery charging. Therefore I measured the voltage across the batteries (having stood offload for a week) giving a reading of 12.6v. Then with the battery isolator swithces off I switched on the chagrger which was connected to the landline. There was no change in battery voltage measured. I then switched all off and having switched the battery isolators on repeated the exercise this time observing a voltage of 15.3 volts (initial fast charge). I believe this indicates that the battery isolators are required to be on in order that the batteries can be charged from the landline via the charger. Please confirm that I am correct in my logic and conclusion. Thanks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:51pm

Post Subject:

I agree that certainly seems to be the case. Tony Brooks

favours
favours

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:15pm

Post Subject:

Tony, Thanks for confirmation. Is this a fairly standard method of wiring to an inverter/charger?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:00pm

Post Subject:

If the combi-unit supplies the charge back down the feed cables for the inverter then, yes, the Boat Safety Scheme would require the isolator to be wired in a manner that allows the inverter to be isolated in an emergency. Personally I would prefer a separate isolator for the inverter so you can isolate all the domestic electrics whilst leaving the inverter connected to charge the batteries. If the charger part has separate charging leads then (subject to checking with the BSS office) I think it would be in order to wire those direct to the battery with a suitable fuse close to BOTH ends of the cable (2 fuses) direct to the batteries. Even if the BSS do not allow this feeding the charging current through another master switch should satisfy them. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.27 seconds.