Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
cisco1
cisco1

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:16pm

Post Subject: weedhatch

just had boat outfor blacking and removedweedhatch to black in thereput hatch backand tightenedfuly when got back to marina noticedwater in bilge and it looked wetaround hatchwhat can i use to resealagain ithink therubberseal isok

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:43pm

I suspect the "rubber" is far from OK. If you try to use a sealer on the rubber I am sure it will work but you will be in big trouble if you have to take the hatch off in an emergency. You do not describe its fixing so if it is secured with one or two "clamps" rather than a series of bolts try loosening it and repositioning it slightly. If that does not allow it to seal remove it again so you can measure the size of "rubber" strip you need, replace the hatch and buy some suitable rubber. Most larger chandlers sell such rubber or you could use CLOSED CELL neoprene foam of perhaps 5 or 6mm thick. You can either use a self adhesive product or a suitable impact adhesive like Evostick in the green can. Make sure you cut the ends square and push the joints hard into each other. Compressing it with the lid shoudl force the joints fully closed. You will have to clean and dry the flange onto which you intend to stick the rubber. I would take time to derust, prime and paint it before sticking the strip to it. Tony Brooks

cisco1
cisco1

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:10pm

thanks tony have done that now and fitted new hatch rubber from chandlers. yet to take it for a test drive fingers crossed

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.