Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
carolm
carolm

Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:16pm

Post Subject: steel erosion

we have recently taken out our boat to blacken the hull for the 1st time after two and half years from a marina with electrics. we have a galvanic isolator and anodes. In the marina, the boat on our port side had no electrics, the boat on the starbd side had electrics but no galvanic isolator. Our port side was really clean after steam washing, the other side was very badly pitted with rust.Is there a reason for this rust?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:45pm

Post Subject: steel erosion

Dear Carol As long as your isolator is working (and there are arguments and even tests I have seen that suggest they are not as effective as the makers claim) then the most probably reason is extra sunlight on the water on the rusted side of the boat. Without seeing the mooring I can not judge. When I am asked about galvanic isolation I always advise an isolation transformer because it totally isolates your boat from the mains and transmits the electricity via a magnetic field. This means your boats earth is totally isolated from the rest of the marina system. Galvanic isolators use diodes and voltage pulses on the earth line can make them conduct galvanic currents. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.27 seconds.