Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
meowman...
meowman...

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:26pm

Post Subject: Cruisers-v-narrowboat

I am a prospective boat owner, but before I part with my hard earned money I'd like to ask what might be to many of you guys a very strightforward question. What are the advantages/disadvantages of cabin cruisers-v-narrowboats. I'm well aware that narrowboats are significantly more expensive, that being the case what benefits/advantages can I expect to get with a NB as opposed to a CC. And, ....... why is it there seems to be any number of NB for hire but no (as I can find ) CC so as to try out the differences for myself. Any info/input/views/opinions would be very much appreciated.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:44pm

There are lots of cabin cruisers for hire on the Thames, Fens and the Broads. You will get a different opinion form almost everyone you ask and owners of one type are likley to rubbish what the owners of the other type say. I am going to assume that you are talking about a GRP cruiser and steel narrowboat. Furthermore I will assume that you are talking about a narrow beam GRP Cruiser. The fact that there are few, if any, GRP boats for hire on narrow canals probably tells you something. Although the older models of GRP boat were massively over engineered hull wise they are still vulnerable to impact damage and even ice damage if moored on-line and a steel boat passes breaking the ice. I am not so sure about the hull thickness on newer models. Advantages of GRP nb cruisers. Normally cheaper to buy, DIY hull repairs are possible, shallow draft makes mooring in shallow waters easier, takes less engine power to move through the water so fuel consumption should be better. Disadvantages: Possibility of osmosis (internal damage) within the hull structure, often less well insulated that Steel boats so colder in winter, may be more difficult to handle in wind, Outboard or outdrive powered boats will not steer with no power on, Outboard powered boats have very limited battery charging capacity. Steel narrowboats: hard to hole but can be dented, difficult for amateur to repair hull damage, often better insulated (but not always), has to be taken out of the water for blacking and/or hull inspection every few years (but GRP hulls should be dried ashore every few winters), usually has more space being longer but not if both types are the same length. I feel that GRP boats tend to depreciate at a greater rate than steel ones but much depends on how well they have been looked after. Oh - avoid petrol inboard GRP boats. Although such boats are cheap to buy petrol is not plentifully at the canalised and it poses extra requirements under the Boat Safety Scheme. Tony Brooks

meowman...
meowman...

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:30am

Hi Tony, Thanks for the reply, most helpful. Perhaps I should have been a little more specific I know CC are readily available for hire on the Broads etc; I am based in Northamptonshire and any boating activity will be canals, Nene, and possibly Great Ouse, no CC I can find for hire on those waters !!!. So to summerise, as a couple, 6 berths with a shed load of space is not essential. Usage will be summer months only, so winter storage could be on dry land. Therfor I'm thinking a NB would offer few, if any practical advantages over an inboard, diesel powered CC.

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.78 seconds.