Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Garnett
Garnett

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:50am

Post Subject: DIY Pump Out

Hi I was interested to read about the new Lea Sanitation DIY Pump Out Kit in the May issue. Its a great idea but very bulky. It started me wondering. Is there a DIY pump out kit that has the pump and uncrushable vacumm pipe built into the boat? Then all that would be needed would be a flat low pressure pipe that can be rolled up and easily stored. Thanks Anthony & Rachel Garratt - NB Dragonfly

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:53pm

I have not heard of such a thing and I think it could be difficult or complicated to install because the existing pump out fitting is in the gunwale or roof. This implies the use of a length of suction hose between the fitting and pump external to the boat. It would be possible to pipe form the normal pump out fitting in the tank to a pump and then from there to some kind of "lock on" fitting for the delivery hose but then you have a problem with flushing the delivery hose clear and any need to work on the pump would probably result in effluent escaping into the boat. It is also worth noting the much of the pipework would be best in metal because if you leave effluent sitting in flexible hose (even sanitation grade) there is an increased chance of smell leaching from the hose. Then there is a question of if it would then be possible for a conventional pump out to be used. Finally I am far from convinced the majority of boaters would find such equipment cost effective because many Elsan disposal sites are not suitable for receiving pump out quantities and content. I am sure it would be perfectly possible to have another pump out point installed in the tank so you have a dual system but I still question its practicality and cost effectiveness. Tony Brooks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:25am

Further to your question. I have been looking at the piece in the May issue and knowing the size of a Whale Gulper pump I suspect that the photo may be confusing size wise because there is little to compare the hose board with. I suspect it is smaller than it looks. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.30 seconds.