Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
cisco1
cisco1

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:15pm

Post Subject: flooding

is there a site which tells you which rivers and locks are not in use due to flooding as i want to go on a trip next week from pillings lock to nottingham at the moment the flood gates are shut near the marina i have looked on waterscape and cant find any info

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:58pm

Post Subject: flooding

You could try the Waterscape site but it does not seem to recognise Pilling Lock and Nottingham shows no stoppages http://www.waterscape.com/in-your-area/nottingha mshire/nottingham/boating (all on one line).You may be able to infer the likley state of the river from this EA site http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleis ure/floods/riverlevels/default.aspx (one line). At present it is showing the Trent at Colwich as being a little above the highest normal range at about 3 metres. However the fact that you need to ask this indicates that you are not very experienced so you really must look at the flow, not just the level. Charging down a river in spate and approaching a bridge requires experience, more so when approaching a lock from upstream because there will be a weir close by. My advice is to phone the local waterways office or a lock keeper and take their advice re navigation. Please take care.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 1.07 seconds.