Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Ray
Ray

Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:33pm

Post Subject: Engine Hours counter

Hi Tony, The engine "running hours" counter has stopped working and the small digital display is blank. I have traced the wire from the rev counter, which includes the timer, down to the alternator terminal and there is no obvious break. Can you suggest a test regime so I can try and identify why the display has disappeared. Thanks and regards, Ray.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:55am

You do not say the rev-counter has stopped working as well so I assume it is working. That proves the instrument has a positive, negative and pulses from the alternator present so no tests are needed. I bet this is a Liquid Crystal Display that is now blank. In the coldest days of winter LCDs are likley to stop working because the liquid crystals become too viscose to move but they recover as the temperature rises. However this can not be the case now. I suspect that there are bad connections inside the instrument where a ribbon cable is attached to the LCD display. I have read that if you are able one can strip the instrument and tighten the ribbon cable clamp or remove the cable, clean the contact surfaces with alcohol and refit. If you mess it up you will have lost nothing because the other course of action is a new instrument. If I am wrong and you have mechanical numbers I am afraid all you can do is fit another instrument. Tony Brooks

Ray
Ray

Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:10am

Thank you Tony, your assumptions are correct, the rev counter is working and the display is LCD. I'll have a go at a strip-down and see see what happens! Again, thanks for the advice. Ray

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:47pm

If you take the ribbon cable off to clean its contact with the conductive glass I think the recommendation I saw was isopropyle (probably the wrong spelling) alcohol from a chemist. TB

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.59 seconds.