Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
alankeyw
alankeyw

Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:30pm

Post Subject: lister petter PH2 grear box

Hi Ive just bought a 40ft narrowboat (first timer)with a lister petter PH2 15hp circa 1960's .Can you tell me if i have a problem with the gearbox/clutch.it would appear to be o.k in forward,in neutral the prop still turns slowly ,but reverse it is rubbish allthought prop dose change direction.is this normal for this old type of engine

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:54am

The vast majority of propellers produce less thrust in astern than in ahead so one would expect reverse to produce less thrust and thus stopping power. However I can not rule out a slipping astern clutch so we really need an assessment of how fast the shaft accelerates and how fast it is turning at a given throttle position in ahead and astern. If it looks similar in both directions the lack of astern performance is probably down to the prop. If they are markedly different (especially the rate of acceleration)then it may well be a clutch problem. Depending on make of box the clutches may or may not be adjustable. The shaft turning in neutral is probably oil drag within the box but one other thing occurs to me. At some time Lister and Petter merged so it is possible that your marine gearbox might be a Lister LH150 and these are a little different in that they use internal oil pressure to get neutral and astern - no oil pressure for ahead. Just maybe your box could do with topping up with oil. This would not apply to any other make of box. If you email a photo to tony@TB-training.co.uk I will see if I can identify the box. One last thing. The term "reverse is rubbish" is not specific enough for me to help, I have had to guess that you mean the boat does not stop as well as you would like. You could just as well be talking about the way it is very difficult to steer in reverse and how the back of the boat moves sideways when trying to stop or reverse. If so come back and I will discuss it further. Tony Brooks

alankeyw
alankeyw

Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:00pm

Hi Toney Your advice has been a great help I will investigate further and see if I can identify the gear box,thank you once again for you prompt support . I will be in touch Regards Alan

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.53 seconds.