Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
molieres
molieres

Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:06pm

Post Subject: Creighton 32

Hi While cruising on the canal du midi in France I lost my propellor. The boat is a 32' Creighton and is now out of the water. The dimensions of the shaft are 26mm tapering to 20mm over 80mm. Does anyone know where I can get a (preferably cheap secondhand) propellor? Jo Romain

Creighton 32
Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:24pm

That gives you a taper of 1 in 13.3 which seems a very odd taper to me. I suspect this is an imperial shaft and that you need to measure it again. I Googled second hand propellers and a number of hits came up. One was Steel Developments who I think will supply a propeller machined to your taper but please re-measure. My guess is it is a 1 in 12 taper. I am sure there are Fench companies that will do the same. Tony Brooks

molieres
molieres

Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:30pm

Thanks for your reply. I think the photo I uploaded is too small to see the details, but looking at the original photo it seems to me there is about 20mm of straight shaft before the taper begins giving a taper of 26mm to 20mm over 60mm. Is this more like a standard taper? The problem is I am not at the boat at the moment so am relying on the French mechanic's measurements, and he doesn't do imperial! Any advice or help would be gratefully received. Jo

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:52pm

Well, that would make it 1 in 10 and that is one of the more standard tapers but there is no way you should buy a prop until you confirm the taper. Fitting a prop to a shaft without matching tapers is likely to result in worn tapes, worn keyways, missing keys, a loose prop and possible the prop falling of if you ignore strange vibrations. When I worked on the hire fleet we used to lap the propeller onto the taper to ensure a near perfect fit. I do not think that we can go much further with this because of the critical nature of the prop to taper match. If your engineer does not do imperial on an old UK built boat then I think you need to do it yourself or find someone who can. Tony Brooks

molieres
molieres

Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:28pm

OK thanks for that information. I have emailed the mechanic this afternoon asking for more exact measurements (the length of the straight shaft before it begins to taper) but I think I need to get down there and measure it myself. From here it does seem to be a 1 in 10 taper. Many thanks Jo

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:08am

The length of parallel shaft before the taper is not an issue. You need the length of the actual taper. TB

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.53 seconds.